Utmost importance at Christmas
1 Corinthians 15:3-5 TPT – For I have shared with you what I have received and what is of utmost importance: The Messiah died for our sins, fulfilling the prophecies of the Scriptures.  He was buried in a tomb and was raised from the dead after three days, as foretold in the Scriptures.  Then he appeared to Peter the Rock and to the twelve apostles.
In 1 Corinthians 15:3 the Apostle Paul shares something he considers is of utmost importance. There is a lot in this verse so I am going to break it down.
1. The Messiah died for sins – this is talking about Jesus who came to die on the cross for our sins. He took our punishment, so we could become right with God.
2. Fulfilled the prophecies – for centuries the prophets had been talking about a long awaited Messiah who would come. When Jesus came He fulfilled over 300 prophecies in his birth, life, death and resurrection.
3. He was buried in a tomb – the Bible also speaks about a Messiah who would die and then be buried in a borrowed tomb. Jesus was placed in a tomb and a large stone was in place to keep it secure.
4. He was raised after three days – the Bible tells us that after three days in the tomb, Jesus was raised to life. The power of sin and death was broken. Again this was shown to fulfil many Scriptures.
5. Jesus appeared to His followers – verse 5 tells us that Jesus appeared first to His Apostles. He showed them His scars from the nails in His hands and feet. In the weeks after the resurrection Jesus appeared to more than 500 people.
These five things are core to the Gospel message – Jesus died for our sins, He was buried, He rose to life in three days and He appeared to many people. All of this was to fulfil many prophecies.
This Christmas I hope you will remember what the Apostle Paul described as utmost importance. It is my hope that you will not only remember the birth of the baby Jesus, but the life, death and resurrection too.
Jesus died to pay the price for our sins. That is the ultimate Christmas present we can receive and of utmost importance to us all.
If you would like to find peace with God this Christmas, please visit this page on my website.
Be blessed this Christmas,